COLOMBO – The Department of Prisons expects to begin accommodating inmates at the Old Bogambara Prison within the next two weeks, as renovation work at the facility nears completion, a senior prison official said.
Prisons Media Spokesman Senaka Palletenna said on Friday (21) that renovation work at the historic prison complex was approximately 90% complete, while arrangements are also being expedited to recruit and deploy the additional officers required to operate the facility.
The move is part of ongoing efforts by the Department of Prisons to expand and improve its capacity to accommodate inmates.
Meanwhile, families of 10 prison officers who died while on duty during clashes at Negombo Prison were each provided with Rs 2 million in compensation under the Agrahara Insurance Scheme of the National Insurance Trust Fund.
The compensation was presented at a ceremony held at Prisons Headquarters on Friday.
National Insurance Trust Fund Chief Executive Officer Yushan Tharanga said the organization had taken steps to expedite the payment of compensation to the families affected by the deaths.
He said the Fund had considered the circumstances surrounding the incident and decided not to delay assistance until all routine official documentation had been completed.
“Given the unexpected nature of such tragedies, we decided to provide the compensation as quickly as possible, taking into consideration the circumstances faced by the affected families,” he said.
Acting Commissioner-General of Prisons Prasad Hemantha Kumara said the Department had also launched a special program to provide additional assistance to the families of the deceased officers, aimed at helping improve their livelihoods and economic well-being.
-ENCL
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.